Friday, May 30, 2008

Summer Reading

Woo hoo! My summer vacation books showed up today! Annie and I are leaving next Friday for a couple of weeks of relaxation in the Carolinas. I'm the type of guy who likes to bring a bunch of books on a trip, not because I'm necessarily going to get to them all but because I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for at any given time. I also like to mix in several rereads. I love revisiting old stories and vacation is a great time to do so. Here's a few snippets of what I'll probably be reading over this year's vacation, starting with the new stuff first.

I'm really excited about this one. I have yet to see the HBO miniseries based on this book but I love David McCullough's writing. Adams is one of the more interesting founding fathers, but smothered between the giants of Washington and Jefferson, his presidency tends to be overlooked. I'm hoping this can help round out some of my knowledge of the early presidents


Epic is one of the few things by Eldredge I haven't read (though i have heard him do a live version of it). The basic idea is to present the Gospel as a story going back before the beginning of time, through the rebellion of Satan, to redemption on the cross and the promise of future victory.



Reading Philip K. Dick is an experience. I've never read another author quite as mind boggling as him. But it works and if you can accept the weirdness it's a blast. If you can't, best to stick to the toned down movies based on his stuff like Minority Report and Blade Runner.



I've never read anything by Brennan Manning before but I've heard enough about him to be excited about giving him a shot. His books all have very high marks on Amazon and I'm hoping he becomes another of the wonderful Christian writers I've discovered in the last year.



I've just finished reading Frank Herbert's original Dune series. This is his son's continuation/conclusion based on notes and outlines found after Herbert's death in 1986. I know there are lots of Dune fans who loathe what Brian Herbert has done by trying to finish his father's series but I'm optimistic.






I've been meaning to read the medieval mystics for a while now. I've heard great things about St. John of the Cross and this is probably his most famous book.





To be honest, I know almost nothing about this book. But it's a sci-fi classic and as a certified sci-fi nerd it qualifies as a major hole in my reading. Hopefully it's as good as the hype.






Rereads:

Shadowland by Peter Straub - Straub is probably my favorite living horror writer. I don't remember this very while but I enjoyed it the first time through. It's not as scary as his brilliant Ghost Story but it's a good book nonetheless.

L.A. Confidential by James Ellroy - The movie is better known but the book is a lot of fun too. They're pretty different from but this is one of those cases where both movie and book are equally good.

Miracles and The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis - These are two of Lewis's best books. It's been a while and God has taught me tons since I first read them. Hopefully I'll get even more out of them this time around

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury - This is my favorite Bradbury novel (unless you count The Illustrated Man as a novel). It's been a while so hopefully it holds up to my memory.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson - This is one of the great haunted house novels of all time. Over half a century later it's still very scary and a blast to read.

Solaris by Stanislaw Lem - This is a brilliant and beautiful science fiction novel. I'm one of about five people who actually liked the George Clooney movie based on it. But the book is different enough where even if you hated the movie you'll want to give this one a shot.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, what a list...
Makes my list, which includes the latest "Miss Julia" book, look pretty lame. But I do love Miss Julia! (Amanda and Amy would agree with me - if you want to laugh just read something by Ann B. Ross) And of course there's the other read I'm looking forward to; ordered with our southern vacation in mind. It's a tongue in cheek "etiquette" book..."Being Dead Is No Excuse: The Official Southern Ladies Guide To Hosting the Perfect Funeral"
Seriously, southern Fiction (think Fannie Flagg) is really taking off and I thoroughly enjoy it.
Anywhoo...here's my challenge to you, Ben. I think about three years ago I bought Frank Peretti's "Monster". I lost patience with it and couldn't finish the darn thing, although I think Amy did. Would you read it and tell me what the heck his purpose was in this crazy thing...I just don't get it. Let me know if you accept and I'll pack it.
Love ya,
Mom

Ben De Bono said...

I'm up for that. The last book I read by Peretti, Prophet, left me a little cold. I still enjoyed, just not as much as his others. Besides, I don't think I could be the certifiable geek I am and pass up reading a book called Monster.

As for sorting out crazy purposes, if I can make sense of (and even enjoy) Philip K. Dick I can handle just about anything.