Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The First and Greatest Commandment

One of them, an expert in religious law, tried to trap him with this question: “Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?” Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.

-Matthew 22:35-38


This week, as I've been preparing to go to Colorado, I've been spending some time asking God what He wants for me in this trip and what my role in that is. It's been a tough and busy week. Most weeks before a trip usually are, but this week has been different. There's been a ton of warfare raging around this trip (let me again say how desperately I need your prayers over these next four days). On one hand, the battle is encouraging because it tells me God has some awesome plans for the trip. It wouldn't be this opposed otherwise. But even with that hope in mind, I find myself getting buried in the battle. Like Peter walking on the water, my focus slowly drifts from the Master to the waves and I find myself adrift in moments when I need to be clinging to Jesus.

I intentionally took some time this afternoon both to take a break from the busyness and warfare and to just to spend time with God. As we were talking about the trip I heard God telling me that what He wanted from me this weekend was to honor Him and remain faithful and that what He wanted to do was care for my heart and lead me into a deeper life. As I began to think of how those things work together, this passage from Matthew came into my mind.

How easily we lose sight of what Jesus is trying to tell us in this passage. To really understand it we need to remember that the goal of all of God's commandments, of true holiness, is life. What Jesus is saying is that the first and foremost way we are to find life is by passionately loving God and entering into an intimate relationship with Him.

When I first God tell me to be faithful and honor Him, I immediately began to worry and wonder if those were areas I'm failing in. What I heard God say about that was that He wasn't telling me those things to point out failure but to let me know how He wants to be loved by me this weekend. So often I get words like that and I descend into shame and beating myself up in the ways I've fallen short of what God's telling me. And while there certainly is a place for God's gentle and loving correction when we steer of course, I believe that often times when He says these things He's not trying to point out a flaw but to draw us deeper into intimacy with Him.

Fulfilling this first and greatest commandment is not a one way street. It is not only me loving God with all of my heart, soul and mind; it is Him loving me with all of His heart, soul and mind. All of God's commandments are invitations into intimacy and this one above all. It is a command not only to be loved but to also receive love.

I've mentioned before that I really believe this weekend is going to be a milestone moment in my life. It's going to be a big step deeper into Aslan's Country. But the foundation of that has got to be this intimacy with God. The warfare is raging and it will continue to do so all weekend. I can't back down from that battle but I also can't afford to take my eyes off Jesus even (especially!) in the midst of a storm. God's invitation to love and be loved has brought me back to center and so long as I stay there my heart is ready for what He has for me this weekend. Please pray for me. I can't wait to get back and share what He's done!

1 comment:

Skip Crust said...

Ben,

We're going to miss you this weekend, but you're going to have a blast. May God speak to you like never before, and may you feel his breath on your shoulder as you feel the mountain breeze.

Can't wait to hear about your trip when you get home...