Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Trust: Our View and God's

I came across a great quote yesterday in George MacDonald's Diary of an Old Soul. It goes, "To trust is to step forward out of the night." It's the sort of quote that's easy to nod along to and take as a nice but meaningless platitude without really thinking about it. But if we're really honest, I'd say for most of us our view of trust, or at least the way we act it out, is exactly the opposite.

I'm reminded of the story of Peter walking on the water. From his perspective, following the voice of the master, trusting Jesus, was to step out of the safety of the boat and into the storm. That's the human view of trust. From Jesus's perspective Peter was stepping out of the storm and into peace. What Peter failed to see was that trust didn't mean stepping into the darkness of the storm, it meant stepping out of the night.

That's a tough one to swallow, or at least for me it can be. It doesn't make any sense. It goes against everything we think of as rational. And even here trust is required. Are we willing to step out of the benighted state of our limited reasoning and trust that from God's perspective things do make sense even when we can't see it?

Annie and I have been (imperfectly) living this out over the last month and a half. As many of you know, I'm self employed. June saw the end of a major project I've been working on for the last year as well as a few other billing reductions. Don't get me wrong, I'm very aware of how blessed we are. I know there are so many people in tougher positions than this. Way tougher. But with a new house and a baby on the way, that kind of uncertainty can be rough. At times it's felt like the boat is crumbling away beneath us and we're heading out into the storm whether we like it or not. Trusting is tough.

But here's the neat part. God is extremely faithful. Before we bought this house we prayed long and hard about it. One of the things God told me again and again was "there will always be enough." And there is. I don't know where all the work is coming from but right now I'm busier than I've been in quite a while. New projects keep popping up at various clients. Just this morning I had a meeting where I had three new mini projects handed to me. Now my problem is how to balance it all!

We saw the same thing happen two years ago before we got married. Our biggest contract went away virtually over night. I had no idea what I was going to do from one week to the next but each week for three months I always had enough work. It was awesome to watch then and it's just as awesome now.

Living on the edge, stepping out of the night, is a neat place to be. Work is just one example of how God is teaching me about what trust really means. Trust isn't a bad thing that forces us into unpleasant situations. It's an opportunity for our Father to show how much He loves us. It's a chance to fall into His arms. I can't claim that I love the uncertainity (would that my faith might someday be so great!) but I can tell you God is faithful. He's worth trusting

2 comments:

Andrew Clarke said...

This is a good post. Liz(my wife) and I have had the experience of feeling under financial pressure and uncertainty but finding that God provides. The passage from Matthew (6:25-31)about the birds of the air and the lilies of the field comes to mind there. I should say, I found your blog when I was looking for Christians who like reading. If you enjoy a title like LOTR can I suggest "Outcasts Of Skagaray" as another to try? If you want to preview it, go to www.threeswans.com.au and see the sample chapters. My blog, if you want to check out some Christian sharing, is http://threeswans.blogspot.com
I would be delighted if you read the book and enjoyed it, but whether or not, I greet you in the Lord and wish you many blessings.

Ben De Bono said...

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your kind words. I took a look at your profile. WOW! I love history and English. Though seeing as I'm speaking to someone who's spent a good chunk of his life teaching those subjects, I stand humbly as a beginner.

Your book looks fantastic! I can't wait to read it. It looks like it's available here in the US from Amazon. It'll definitely be part of my next order.

I read a few posts on your blog and briefly skimmed several others. Thank you for what you're writing about there. In this age of squishy, post modern thought, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to read solid, well thought out ideas from a Biblical world view.

Welcome to my blog. It's great to have you here!